Mutiny & Murders on Board Ship Earl of Sandwich.

Back to Search View Transcript
Document ID 9808135
Date 13-12-1765
Document Type Newspapers (Shipping News)
Archive Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
Citation Mutiny & Murders on Board Ship Earl of Sandwich.; PRONI D 2015/5/7; CMSIED 9808135
And following papers contain accounts of the mutiny
murders and looting of the ship Earl of Sandwich.  This
vessel left the Canaries in charge of Captain Cochran,
there was also on board a Captain Glass with his wife and
daughter.  Four of the crew murdered the captain and
passengers & several of the crew under terrible
circumstances.  They scuttled the ship off the coast of
Wexford after loading the boat with money & valuables
they landed at Ross and went into a public house and
took a room.  They gave the landlady jewellery worth
about œ20 and they gave the maid 36 dollars and a
necklace and earrings set in gold.  They also changed
1250 dollars into gold with a local merchant and would
have changed more if there had been any more gold
obtainable.  It afterwards came out that their boat
was so loaded that they had to throw a quantity of
treasure overboard to keep the boat from sinking and
they buried a large part of the treasure between high
and low water at their landing place.  The four men
were arrested and tried for murder at Dublin.
3 Jan 1766.  Dublin.  On Monday, eleven casks containing
250 bags of dollars, part of the treasure that was on
board the Earl of Sandwich and which had been secreted
by the four inhuman villains now in confinement for
the murder of Captains Cochran & Glass, Mrs. Glass,
Miss Glass etc. were brought to town from Ross,
escorted by two troops of General Severin's dragoons,
and lodged in the Treasury.
21 Feb. 1766  contains an account of Captain Glass's
career which was a most eventful one.  He was
originally a surgeon but after making several voyages
to the Guinea Coast he became a captain.  He became
captain of a privateer and was only three days at sea
when his crew mutinied but the situation was saved
by a French Prize coming into sight.  They captured the
vessel which proved of great value.  Shortly afterwards
an enemy frigate appeared and although the privateer
put up a hard fight, they had to strike their colours
but not until they had lost half the crew and the
captain shot through the shoulder.  Capt. Glass was
taken prisoner and was landed at the West Indies where
he was treated with great severity as a prisoner of
war, but he was at last exchanged.  He again started
privateering and was again taken prisoner.  During
his career he was taken prisoner no less than seven
times.  Finally he obtained exclusive right to trade
with a port he had discovered on the Guinea coast.
He interested a number of merchants and made a venture
there but the natives would have nothing to do with him.
They murdered the men he sent on shore to treat with
them, they attacked the ship but were repulsed and then
they afterwards sent off poisoned provisions.  The ship
now commenced to run short of food and the captain
started off in an open boat for the Canary Islands to
obtain a supply.  On arrival there he was arrested as
a spy and thrown into prison.  After being some months
in confinement he managed to communicate with the
captain of a British man of war who secured his release.
In the meantime as he failed to return to the ship
the mate abandoned the voyage and returned to England.
The captain's wife when she heard the news started off
for the Canaries accompanied by her young daughter,
where they found Captain Glass.  They all embarked on
board the Earl of Sandwich to return to England.

7 Mar 1766 On Monday last (3rd) George Gidley, Richard
St. Quinton, Peter McKinlie, and a Dutchman Andres Lukerman,
late mariners on board the brig Earl of Sandwich,
belonging to London, whereof John Cochran was master,
were executed near St. Stephen's Green pursuant to
their sentence for having murdered their captain,
Captain Glass, his wife and daughter, also Charles and
James Pinchert.  Their bodies were brought from the
place of execution to Kilmainham Gaol and they were
afterwards hung in chains in the most conspicuous places
at Poolbeg.  The treasure from the ship was found in
Booley Bay, Co. Wexford.